Is your Mr Dog peanut-butter-fan? Rizo LOVES it and we use it as a training-treat. But we carefully examine the ingredients before we choose the butter! Not all peanut butter is safe for dogs!
A sweetener – Xylitol – is used in many food products, e.g. peanut butter, yogurts, chewing gum, marmelade, toothpaste. It is quite safe for humans but TOXIC to dogs. Such information was confirmed by an animal hospital. Ingested Xylitol can result in seizures, liver failure and finally death.
Most peanut butters are OK and free of the deadly sweetener. They usually include: peanuts, sugar and palm or other oil. The danger arises when you take a LOW-CALORIE VERSION, where sugar is replaced with the sweetener.
What should alarm us? SYMPTOMS of xylitol poisoning in dogs include vomiting, muscle weakness, difficulty walking and tremors. The symptoms usually begin within 15-30 minutes of consumption.
If you suspect your Mr Dog may have accidentally eaten something with xylitol, you should immediately contact a veterinarian!
What else can be FATAL for Mr Dog?
The ‘normal’ food we mustn’t give to the dog as it can be DEADLY:
contains teobromine, which affects cardial system
2. ONION or GARLIC
contain disulphides which destroy red blood cells and this can lead to heart or other organs failure,
3. GRAPES & RAISINS
contain monosaccharides which aren’t digested by dog’s system and devastate kidneys,
4. human PAINKILLERS
paracetamol & ibuprofen are highly toxic for dogs and animals
is highly toxic!!! A glass of wine can be deadly for a medium-sized dog (!) So NEVER at a barbecue give Mr Dog BEER ‘for fun’ to show that he likes it!!!
Most peanut butter is SAFE and does not contain xylitol. It makes a great treat for pups and fun for their owners. See Dogs vs Peanut Butter 🙂